YOUNG FAMILIES, OUR FUTURE
On any given night in Minnesota, 6,000 youth experience homelessness and are on their own. It’s estimated that 35% of those youth are parents themselves, but few are with their children because they are experiencing homelessness. In response to this, Avenues launched the Young Families program in 2017. The program provides housing and services to parents ages 18-24, and their children. Families are given rent subsidies based on their need, which can range from three months to a year of support. Families in the program have one or two parents, and up to two children.
While in the program, Avenues works with parents to identify and reach their goals. Families receive intensive support in:
- Education and career goals
- Job training programs
- Parenting classes and healthy living
- Financial education and independent living skills
In this tight housing market, Avenues is constantly recruiting local landlords who will rent to young families at an affordable price. Renting a property in this program goes beyond just being a landlord—you’re often providing a family with their first home. If you are a landlord or have landlords in your network, considering becoming a partner in our Young Families Program.
Landlords participating in the program can expect:
- Direct, on time rent payments
- 2-4 tenants, depending on the family size
- Timely updates from program manager
- Mediation support from staff in landlord-tenant issues
- Monthly home visits from Avenues’ staff
- Invitations to community building events with Avenues’ staff and youth
- After the subsidy ends, youth may renew their lease on their own or mutually end the lease
To be a landlord in the program, you must have insurance and be a licensed landlord. Your rental has to have 1-3 bedrooms. If you're interested in partnering with Avenues, contact the Young Families Program Manager at 612-968-4437 or learn more here.